Pregnancy is a lovely phase of life for any woman, and getting pregnant with twins is like a dream come true. But am I having twins, is the most frequently asked question by a pregnant woman. Initially it is very difficult to find out whether a woman is pregnant with twins or not, but later on in the further pregnancy stages, it can be found out with the help of tests and symptoms.
More than one baby can be either fraternal twins or identical twins depending upon the nature of their birth. Fraternal twins are born when the ovary produces two eggs and both of them get fertilized, whereas identical twins are born when a fertilized egg splits into two and then develops independently. Some women say that having twin children have made them suffer a lot than their single child but some say that twin pregnancy period is smooth and less troublesome. Well, all this have no relation with the twin or single child but there are few symptoms which can indicate towards twin pregnancy.
Signs of Having Twins
People say that a mother gets to know whether she is having single or multiple babies. This is very normal but this can only be found when the movements of baby are prominently noticeable. Still apart from all these, there are few pregnancy signs of twins which can help you in finding out the answer of having twins.
- Weight Gain: Increased weight can make you understand about the twin pregnancy. Although the weight of a pregnant woman with twins is just 10 lbs more than the singleton woman but the weight can indicate towards twin pregnancy.
- Excessive Morning Sickness: It was observed by few women that when they were pregnant with the twins, they were experiencing excessive morning sickness as compared to their singleton pregnancy time.
- Excessive Fatigue: Excessive fatigue is very commonly observed as the body needs to work for more than one child. This may lead to excessive tiredness.
- High HCG Level: The level of HCG or Human Chorionic Gonadotropin is checked to confirm pregnancy. Gonadotropin is a hormone which is secreted during pregnancy. If a woman is expecting twins, then the level of HCG increases more than the levels found in a singleton mother.
- Ultrasound Conformation: This is considered to be very reliable. You may come to know whether you have one or multiple children. Although sometimes it is possible that the ultrasound may miss the multiple pregnancy signs but it can be reflected after the first trimester. So if you are wondering if you are pregnant with twins, then just go for an ultrasound test.
- Doppler Heartbeat Count: This is a method used to hear the heartbeats of the baby. The Doppler system amplifies the heartbeat of the baby which can be heard easily. If there are more than one baby, then you can get the sound of the heartbeat of second baby as well. Sometimes it may be misleading too as the second heartbeat heard may be of the mother.
- AFP (Alpha-Fetoprotein) Test: This test is conducted to find out the risks and defects in the pregnancy. In case of twin or multiple pregnancy the values recorded may be very high or positive which may indicate the presence of more than one child. The doctor will then advice you to undergo ultrasound test to confirm the multiple pregnancy.
- Belly Size: There is a considerable growth in the belly or the abdomen of the woman when she is pregnant. But in case of twins or multiple pregnancy the growth of the belly is very quick and considerable more than the singleton pregnancy. This can also be an indication towards multiple pregnancy.
So, these were some of the signs and symptoms of having twin pregnancy. Tests discussed above may help you to be sure about the multiple pregnancy. Apart from these symptoms, your family history also matters like if anyone in your family has had twins, then this may increase your chances of having twins. Hope this article has helped you to know details about how to find out whether you are pregnant with one or more babies.