Getting period, though a natural process can be quite annoying at times, if there is an important event coming up. But thanks to modern medicine, women can now intentionally alter or delay menstruation to suit their convenience. In this article we will be discussing ways for delaying menstrual cycle…
Every woman has her monthly period, whose duration may be from 3 to 5 days. A menstrual cycle is regulated by the female hormones – estrogen and progesterone. Menstruation normally occurs after every 28 days, where the inner lining of the uterus is shed for a new one. Some women may also experience this after a gap of 23 to 25 days. This phase is uninterrupted, unless a woman is pregnant or is reaching menopause.
At times, a woman may have to postpone her monthly period for some reasons. Women involved in sports like swimming, gymnastics, cycling etc. may think of altering their cycle if it tends to interrupt with their activities. This is referred to as menstrual manipulation and is practiced by women all across the globe. Let us take a look at the different ways implemented to alter a menstrual cycle, along with its negative effects on the body, in case it is overdone.
Methods to Postpone Menstrual Cycle
A period can be quite annoying if it comes when you have planned a vacation or any other major event. This is because, along with pain and discomfort, a menstrual cycle can disrupt the normal activities to some extent. To prevent this condition from coinciding with an important event, many women prefer delaying their cycle to a later date. This can be done with the help of some methods, which are listed as under.
- If you are on the pill or any other birth control method, then you can try stacking technique. Oral contraceptives are usually prescribed to regulate menstruation. A regular dose of pills consists of twenty-one active and seven inactive pills, taken every month. By stacking, you can skip the last week’s dose of inactive pills, without stopping the active ones. This will drop the level of hormones in the body and prevent menstruation.
- Since hormones play a key role in the regulation of menstruation, they can be used to manipulate the occurrence of this monthly cycle. A decrease in progesterone levels in the body, indicates the onset of period. To alter this, you can use natural progesterone (available in health food stores), which comes in the form of oral supplements or cream. Applying the cream, as per instructions, will maintain the level of progesterone and delay the period.
- You can also switch brands of contraceptives or start a new birth control method. There are many brands which alter the hormones and may delay the period once every three months. This method is usually adopted by women who want to delay the cycle for a longer period of time.
- Apart from medication, there are also several herbal remedies used for this purpose. Herbs like ginseng, angelica, blue cohosh, cinnamon, prickly ash and wild yam are known to suppress menstrual bleeding. An infusion of herbal tea, one week before the cycle, can be taken. But it is always advisable to consult a herbalist before including any herb.
Consequences of Delaying Menstruation
Though a convenient way is adopted to alter one’s cycle, the choice entirely depends on the woman. Getting period at an inopportune time can be very discomforting, so most of the women resort to different means of delaying menstrual cycle. However, this practice should not be prolonged as it can have some negative effects on the body.
Mentioned below are some side effects of delaying the monthly period for too long.
- Unwanted weight gain
- Acne, due to hormonal increase
- Fluid retention
- Frequent mood swings
- Changes in appetite
- Bouts of dizziness
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Persistent headaches
- Breast tenderness
There can be several reasons for postponing one’s menstrual cycle. Since this can be quite tricky, it is always better to consult a gynecologist before opting for any measure to delay your period. Take care!