There are a multitude of reasons why women experience dizziness - either randomly throughout the day, or even for a few minutes/seconds. Either way, it could mean something serious, or can be passed off as ordinary, depending on the severity of the case.
There are two kinds of dizziness that one can experience, namely, Vertigo - a sense of moving or a feeling of spinning when standing still. Secondly, there's Lightheadedness - which is caused because of the changes in a blood flow towards brain.
Vertigo is known to bring about a feeling of vomiting and nausea as well, which is similar to when one has drank too much alcohol. It could also mean that there are inner problems related to hair cells or nerve cells within the inner ear.
Dizziness must be treated in time if it occurs repeatedly, to avoid accidents in case you are driving or handling toddlers. It is best to get it checked if you feel out of sorts. Read on to find out what are causes of dizziness in women, and how to read the signs to know if there is something to worry about or not.
Dizziness During Pregnancy
One of the causes for feeling dizzy in women is pregnancy. When hormones in the blood vessels rise, they space out and relax. This increases blood flow to the baby, making you feel dizzy, since blood flow returning to the veins of the mother slows down. Due to this process, blood pressure is lowered, reducing blood flow to the brain, making you feel dizzy.
Here is what helps you feel better and avoid feeling even dizzier -
- Women can tend to feel faint, so the best thing to do is to wear loose fitting clothes, to avoid constricting blood flow.
- Take deep breaths in and out.
- Eat food that is rich in iron content.
- Lie down/sit and then lower your head.
- Avoid getting up too fast when you're sitting or lying down.
Dizziness can occur when women reach their trimester, as the enlarging uterus applies pressure on blood vessels. Even lying flat down on the back makes the baby weigh down on your vena cava, the main vein carrying blood from lower part of your body to the heart. The best way to deal with this dizziness is to ensure plenty of ventilation space and fresh air.
Reasons of Dizziness in Women
Given here are the dizziness problems in women, that are associated with different processes happening within the body that you may/may not be aware of. These are some of the most common causes of dizziness, that one can experience.
- Aged/weakened heart muscle, or one that is diseased
- Heart attacks
- High blood pressure
- Low blood pressure
- Signs of a stroke
- Arrhythmia - irregular heart beats
- Tumor in the brain
- Altering drugs like narcotics, or alcohol consumption
- Standing up too fast ('common faint' / orthostatic hypotension)
- Diuretics (increased flow of urine, due to excess water in the body)
- Skipping meals
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Arteriosclerosis (hardened arteries)
- Excess sleep
- Panic disorder
- Somatization (mental illness, affecting the body physically)
- Hormonal changes (menopause / pregnancy)
- Prescription drugs like Prozac
- Presence of excess fluid in the ear
Now that you are aware of the causes of dizziness, take the necessary precautions in getting yourself and others checked, should these signs and symptoms prolong. It can lead to severe damage and problems in the future if not attended to. Have a healthy tomorrow.