It has been noticed that, there is no standard specification of a petite size. Hence, most of the clothing lines follow their own sizing guidelines for these clothes, and the sizes also differ from one brand to another. On an average, a woman of height 160 cm and below is labeled as petite.
Often, it may happen that the clothes are way too large for your small frame. If so, you'll have to exchange them. Most websites have detailed specifications of the clothes. It is important to read the description of each piece of clothing. Do not forget to check whether the shipping cost would be charged extra. If it is, then the piece might cost you more.
Tips to Choose Petite Maternity Clothes
- During the first trimester, you can wear most of the clothes that you are currently using. It is, however, recommended not to use tight jeans or pants during the entire pregnancy. Tight clothes can have a negative impact on the growth and health of your unborn baby.
- Choosing the right neck-line is also of vital importance. Boat necks, rounded 'V', and high necks accentuate the shoulders, thereby giving them a slimmer look.
- Women with a petite frame should opt for vertical stripes. Horizontal stripes will make them look stout and short and should be avoided totally in the last trimester.
- Fashionistas advise not to wear geometric and/or floral prints. It is best to use smaller and subtler prints.
- It is advisable to buy cheap clothes, as you will not be using most of them after the baby is born. Hence, it is not worth spending a fortune on maternity clothes.
- The mother of all tips is - not to buy too many clothes during the pregnancy period.
Types of Maternity Clothes for Petite Sizes
- Long dresses look better than the short ones. Petite women with short dresses look shorter.
- Investing in a long black skirt is also a good option. The short skirt might not look as good towards the end of the pregnancy, whereas the long skirt will retain its grace and poise all throughout.
- Jumpsuits in spandex and cotton can also be worn during this period. These suits have room around the belly area, where maximum space is required.
- It is advisable to wear small and delicate jewelry.
- Avoid over-sized bags at all costs. The baby is not yet born and you do not have baby stuff to carry around. So, use them after the birth of your baby as they give you a stouter look.