An increase in the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the body during pregnancy can cause a number of changes. A rise in the blood hormone levels usually affects the skin and most of the women complain of experiencing skin burning sensation during pregnancy. This sensation is mostly felt in the abdominal region and the area around the breasts. In some cases, it is also accompanied by itchiness and rashes.
Reasons for Burning Skin Sensation During Pregnancy
Changes in the skin, during the entire term of pregnancy, is mainly due to the surge of hormones in the body. Hormonal changes mainly can affect the skin and pregnant women may experience a range of skin problems like acne, skin rashes and dry skin which causes burning sensation.
Here are some of the causative factors for noticing this skin problem. The good news is that these changes are temporary and do not affect the mother and child in any way. After the delivery of the child, the skin condition may return to normal.
- One of the most common causes of noticing skin burning sensation, especially during pregnancy is because of increased hormonal levels. Estrogen and progesterone can alter the condition of the skin, making it too oily or dry.
- Another factor that is responsible for this condition is stretching of the skin. This burning sensation around the abdomen is mainly because the womb stretches to accommodate the growing fetus. This can be seen externally as the skin around the abdomen expands and stretch marks may be formed. This stretching of the skin makes it more dry and results in burning sensation.
- Some women may also notice burning sensation in the breasts as a result of stretching skin. The areola around the nipples also become sore and scratchy due to dry skin. There may also be an eruption of rashes, reddish in color, on the nipples.
- Intertrigo is a condition when the skin under the arms, breast, knees and other regions having skin folds become dry and itchy. This skin condition is caused due to bacterial or yeast infection causing burning sensation on the skin.
- An increase in the secretion of the thyroid gland can also end up as skin burning sensation accompanied by itching and rashes. This overactivity of the thyroid gland may lead to a condition called miliaria, otherwise known as heat rash or prickly heat.
- Gestational diabetes is also one of the prime reasons for observing burning sensation in the skin during pregnancy. Suffering from this form of diabetes can dehydrate the body. As the body loses water, the effect can be seen on the skin, which becomes dry and stretchy.
Remedial Measures at Home
Undergoing changes in the skin, especially in the form of dry and stretchy skin can be quite discomforting. In order to get rid of this skin complaint, women try out several remedies. However, it is advisable to consult a gynecologist or dermatologist, in case of clinical remedies.
Here are some home remedies that effectively treat this skin problem and return the skin to its normal state.
- One of the first steps towards controlling the itching and burning sensation is to stop scratching, no matter how much you are tempted. Though tough to control, this can prevent this condition from worsening.
- Drinking ample amounts of water and other fluids will help rehydrate the skin and also bring back its lost luster. Water also acts as a detoxifying agent which purifies the body from within. Fruits juices not only replenish the cells but also provide essential nutrients to the body.
- Rubbing olive oil or aloe vera juice on the skin will help in soothing the burning sensation and also rejuvenates it.
- Coconut oil also helps in bringing down the burning sensation. This oil penetrates deeper into the skin to provide relief.
- A paste of tender neem leaves, turmeric, sesame oil etc. will also help destroy bacterial or fungal infestation. Apply this paste all over the body and wash it off after an hour with lukewarm water to curb skin problems.
- Consulting a dermatologist, in case, the burning sensation is intense, is advisable. The physician may prescribe mild creams and lotions to combat skin burning sensation.
These were a few reasons and remedial measures for inhibiting skin burning sensation during pregnancy. Following a proper skin care regimen will help keep skin problems during pregnancy at bay.