Stress is often experienced by people due to today's fast-paced lifestyle. In the simplest way, it can be defined as a mental state which can result out of tension or strain. It can be experienced by men and women alike; usually of middle ages. But, it is found that women get more frazzled when they face stressful situations and circumstances. Excess stress can lead to other mental conditions like anxiety and depression.
In most of the cases, women suffer from excess stress because they carry out multiple roles at the same time, like managing work, family, relations, finances, etc. As mentioned above, identifying causes and symptoms of stress can help in finding a way out of it. Any issues related to the following conditions can cause stress in women.
- Work related problems
- Relationship problems
- Financial problems
- Health problems
- Peer pressure
- Death of a close person
It should also be noted that stress reduces immunity, which itself can lead to further problems. Therefore, stress and health disorders form a vicious cycle. Not all symptoms mentioned below are observed in all women. The number and severity of symptoms vary from one person to the other.
Tension headaches and crying are the most prominent symptoms of stress observed in women. The frequency and duration of headaches vary from person to person. Apart from headaches, other symptoms like backache or stomach cramps are also observed. Another major symptom is insomnia, i.e. lack of sleep. If a woman suffers from excess stress, she is not able to sleep properly at night. This can even occur for several nights together which consequently results in severe headache and irritability. Women may also suffer from irregular monthly cycle, high blood pressure, stomach ulcers, migraine, hair loss, skin diseases, etc., due to stress.
Other stress symptoms in women are diarrhea, tightness in chest, difficulty in breathing and loss of sexual interest. Sometimes, these symptoms have a deeper outcome on a woman's health and mind. She may have constant thoughts about death, develop suicidal tendency, start smoking or having alcohol or even drugs. Skin diseases, rashes, weight gain or loss can also be the reactions caused due to stress in women. One should remember that stress has an ill-effect on the overall health of the person.
Irritability is one of the most common behavioral signs of stress. Irritability is often followed by other emotional and behavioral symptoms like anger, mood swings and weeping. Constant worrying, difficulty in concentration, frustration, etc., is also observed when a woman is under constant stress. These symptoms can lead to negative reactions like suspicion, frequent bouts of anger, forgetfulness, low self-esteem and depression. Loss of appetite, or excess food cravings are also some of secret signs of stress that need to be looked out for. Most of the symptoms are due to the feeling of helplessness that a woman experiences when she faces a stressful situation.
Stress Management for Women
Only when women are aware of the symptoms of stress, they can find ways to overcome it. In most of the cases, following simply self-help techniques can effectively help in reducing stress. Here are a few effective techniques of stress management.
- Support from family and friends significantly helps in stress management. Rather than being lonely, if you
share problems with your close people, you have lesser chances of suffering from the symptoms mentioned above.
- You should remember that stressful situations arise in everyone's life; and, in order to face them, you need to have a positive attitude. In most of the cases, it is found that when in a stressful situation, people tend to blow things out of proportion. It is necessary to face the truth and try to find a solution as soon as possible.
- Diet and exercise also plays a significant role in managing stress. Meditation and yoga are also popularly adopted by people for stress management. Specially, deep breathing exercises are very effective and can be performed at home, in your car or even at workplace.
- Women must take a break from the regular routine.Pursuing a hobby regularly also acts a great stress buster. Simple activities like spending time with family, having an outing together with friends or having a relaxing massage can help in relieving stress and tension.
- Following simple methods like having a balanced diet at regular times every day, having a good night's sleep, avoiding procrastination of work, managing and utilizing time properly, delegating work
, having easy communication with family members, etc. can be helpful in the long run to reduce stress.
- Lastly, also note that if you find stress beyond control and are unable to get rid of its effects, it is always wise to take professional help. This way, you can prevent severe health disorders resulting out of stress.