Do you know which is the sunshine vitamin? It is vitamin D. This name is given to it because the major source of vitamin D is the Sun. Our body creates this vitamin when it comes in contact with sunlight. Exposing the body to the sun (2-3 times per week) for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, suffices the body's need for vitamin D for the entire year.
It is an essential vitamin as it helps in proper functioning of the body. It is recommended that an adult woman should receive at least 5 micrograms of vitamin D daily, up to the age of 50 years. Above 50 years, the consumption should be 10 micrograms, which must increase to 15 after the age of 70. Lower levels may result in low vitamin D symptoms in women, which can be dangerous and life-threatening. In this article, we are going to discuss the symptoms of low vitamin D levels in women.
Symptoms of Low Vitamin D in Women
Vitamin D helps in many functions of our body. The causes of low vitamin D in women are many. As we know that the major source of vitamin D is the Sun, less exposure to the Sun may be a major cause for its deficiency. But apart from the Sun, many animal products like egg yolk, salmon, fish oil, beef liver, etc., are also rich in vitamin D. Hence, vegetarians may find it difficult to garner enough of this essential vitamin. Women who have a darker skin tone face the problems of low vitamin D, as the melanin present in their body restricts it from absorbing the sunlight.
Obesity also creates some problems as excess fat cells present in the body tend to absorb all the vitamin D content, which further leads to low vitamin D levels in blood. These causes can lead to a number of health problems. Following are some of the low vitamin D symptoms that are observed in women, which should not be overlooked.
- Vitamin D is very helpful in keeping the bones strong. In case of deficiency, women may suffer from brittle bones, bone pain and cracking sensation in the bones. Muscle weakness, fatigue, back pain and brittle bones are some other common symptoms of low vitamin D in women.
- Women may also experience depression, lack of concentration, loss of appetite and weakness. This may also result in irregular or improper sleep.
- Lack of vitamin D symptoms may also be manifested as low immunity level. Immunity decreases, which may lead to many other illnesses and diseases.
- Low energy levels and weakness may lead to many falls and fractures and may be a very common sign due to weak bones. This is a very common phenomenon observed in older women.
- Vitamin D is very essential for pregnant women. It helps in the proper development of the fetus. Effects of low vitamin D in pregnant women may be observed as mood swings, depressive behavior and chronic pain in bones. Vitamin D deficiency may also hamper the growth of the fetus.
- Very low vitamin D in the body can be very dangerous. Its symptoms may be related to cardiovascular diseases, cognitive impairment, arthritis, diabetes, hypertension, multiple sclerosis, etc.
Treatment for low vitamin D symptoms is not very complex and difficult. But for that, you need to take action immediately once you start observing the symptoms. The best treatment is the intake of vitamin D supplements. The supplements fulfill the vitamin D requirement of the body and helps it to function properly.
Women with vitamin deficiency can easily treat mild deficiency with the help of vitamin D rich food products like eggs, fish, vegetables, mushrooms, cheese, etc. Foods fortified with this essential vitamin can also be included in the diet. Apart from all these, exposure to sunlight is one of the most important things to do. Daily Sun exposure for a stipulated time will help you to fulfill the vitamin requirement. It is also important to consult a doctor before taking any vitamin D supplements, especially if the woman is pregnant.
Low vitamin D in the body can be dangerous if not taken care of in time. Hence, it is very important to keep an eye on the low vitamin D symptoms in women. You can avoid such a situation by concentrating on a rich vitamin D diet. A routine body analysis will help determine the levels of vitamin D in the body and in case of deficiency, it can be corrected on time. I hope you found this article informative and helpful. Eat healthy and stay fit!